Hey! I'm Ken. I'm a guy in his late 40's who has been fighting severe depression and anxiety for 8+ years.

I have an enemy named stigma who is not nice! My way of sticking it to him is writing my thoughts and experiences with my mental illness striving to smash down the walls he creates.

Kick back and read away. These are my experiences and mine alone. If you agree, awesome. If you disagree, awesome ... just don't fuel the stigma beast! My desire is that sharing these thoughts offers some help to those that are in the fight as well.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Chocolate Cake!

I had the opportunity to experience an environment for a while in my life where I was reminded over and over that "failure was not an option." I was informed that 99.9% of any goal was a failure. 100% was the only acceptable achievement and if that was missed I would have some serious explaining to do while listening to the cracking of the thin ice I was immediately moved on. I was even informed at times that I had to achieve more than 100% for success. Being a perfectionist, this was quite the environment to experience. During this time I often thought about the story of a young man around 12 years old that wanted to surprise his mom one day by making a chocolate cake. He had baked a cake before with his mom so he was quite comfortable with doing it and when all was said and done he was very pleased with the cake he had made. The only thing he hadn't learned was his mom's cleaning ability after baking. He had made a terrible mess of the kitchen but he had proudly put the chocolate cake on the counter for display. It wasn't long before his mom came home and saw what her son had done. She looked around and saw the mess and berated him explaining every little thing that was wrong. The boy left with his head down and went to his room. The mom had been so focused on the "mess" her son had made that she didn't see the cake proudly displayed.

After being diagnosed with severe depression I simply felt like a failure. I felt I let my family down. I felt I let friends down. I felt I had let me down. I felt I had let every possible thing down. In my eyes I was a failure and that was simply it. There were many days that I didn't leave my bedroom or bed for that matter and all I could think about was everything that went wrong in my life. I had grand illusions of an early retirement and now getting out of bed was a big accomplishment. I was introduced to many demons that simply wanted to fight and at times I would feel like I would simply lay down and let them hit me over and over. I was starting to lose my identity and was being defined by failure. Simply to say I understand dark times. I remember sitting on the nice leather sofa one day talking to my psychologist. He would usually start with how I was feeling and then ask me how I felt about that, which was always my favorite ... I hope you are feeling the sarcasm here. Anyway, I told him about feeling like a failure. This is something that truly was and is a huge brick wall that I am working at constantly breaking down brick by brick. One day he said something that simply clicked for me that I have to tell myself over and over. I may have "failed" at ab&c (place whatever you want here) but that doesn't mean that I am a failure. In fact, ab&c may actually be a small piece of the whole me. Simple this may seem I can't tell you how many times this has helped me.

When getting ready to do this Blog I thought a lot about what I should call it. I was tempted to go with "I like Egg Nog" but felt it may be off topic a little. I almost went with "I am depressed. Now What" but it just didn't feel right and then it hit me. For me, saying "I have depression" reminds me that depression is an illness and doesn't define me, it is something I have. Saying "I am depressed" makes me feel like it defines me in some way. Yes, I know this is word play a little bit but heck I will take any word play in a heartbeat if it helps me beat my demons. I can tell you that looking at it that way has helped me see more of the chocolate cakes around me rather than the messes in the kitchen. I find myself being a little kinder rather than wanting to pick a fight with any moving thing that may have made a mess in my eyes. Even though dark days still come I am learning just how much I like chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment